Friday, May 4, 2007

Evolution and the Hand of God - The Fix

This post has been pared down considerably in an effort to make a single point. You're welcome.

Last night during the Republican debate, 3 of the 10 participants raised their hands to show that they did not believe in the theory of evolution. That demonstrates the same level of scientific ignorance as saying you don't believe in gravity.

This administration's record on tampering with science is despicable. The two big areas are stem cell research and global warming but there are little political paw prints all over the place. I think it's very fair to say that the Republicans are anti-science.

A decade ago, I wouldn't have said that I could allocate my vote based on a single issue. I just didn't see an issue so over-arching in its importance.

I can now name an issue: "Science." The set of methods we use to understand and explain our universe. If you're willing to cripple our understanding of our world and quite possibly endanger the survival of our species simply to pander to a constituency then you can't run the country.

A snippet out of the Washington Post:

Evolution and the Hand of God - The Fix
: "But one of the strangest moments of the night came when the candidates were asked about evolution. The question was put directly to McCain, who answered with a simple 'yes' before adding, 'I believe in evolution. But I also believe, when I hike the Grand Canyon and see it at sunset, that the hand of God is there also.'

Then all of the candidates were asked to indicate which of them DO NOT believe in evolution. Huckabee, Brownback and Tancredo each raised a hand. But that was it -- the debate moved on -- no follow up question and no chance for the candidates to qualify their answers or not."

No comments: